Sunday, February 5, 2012

My favourite dry skin remedy: Joik Deep Moisturizing Salve with Emu Oil


The harsh winter weather conditions tend to make my lips and hands very dry. Estonian natural cosmetics company Joik knows well how to beat that :)

The secret lies in their emu oil salve. I got one of those for Christmas, but actually I already had a pot of it that I have been using all winter, so now I have a backup too. I'm very glad about that, because I think this product is legendary! 


So what is this bright yellow salve all about? The company says on their website:

A wonderful treat for dry and rough hands and feet. In addition to super-moisturizing cocoa butter, shea butter, olive oil, avocado oil and apricot kernel oil the salve contains emu oil that is world famous for its amazing properties. Emu oil has been used for centuries to cure different skin conditions - burns, cuts, bruises, joint- and muscle aches. Today emu oil is a valuable ingredient in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals industries.

They are certainly right. The bright yellow salve is very moisturizing and softening, a real bliss for cracked skin. Although it is listed as hand and foot care on the company's website, it can be used on lips, hands, feet, elbows … basically everywhere where your skin is dry or damaged. I have been using it mostly on my lips and cuticles and curing red skin around my nose when I have caught cold and my nose is runny. It stings a tiny bit on sore skin, but does improve healing. I have tried it on my hands too, it absorbs fairly quickly and makes them truly soft, but somehow I still just prefer to slap on one of my hand creams. I think when you have very dry skin you could use it even all over your face.

This is what an emu bird looks like. Picture from here.
The ingredients: apricot kernel oil, beeswax (not suitable for vegans!), olive oil, emu oil, shea butter, avocado oil, cocoa butter, sweet almond oil, red palm oil, tea tree, lavender and lemongrass essential oils. It is 100 % natural and handmade in Estonia.

The bit weird-sounding emu oil that this salve has been named after is basically emu bird's fat. It contains a lot of fatty acids and vitamins and has a lot of wonderful properties. You can read more about it's wonderfulness here. I have used some pure emu oil bought from farmer's market before, but I find this salve a lot better and more pleasant to use.

The emu oil salve smells faintly of tea tree and citruses, something between therapeutic and perfume-y. A bit like orange marmalade. I know the smell of tea tree is offputting for some people, but this salve smells very pleasantly. In fact I wouldn't even notice tea tree, if I didn't know it was there.

You can see how big the pot is compared to The Body Shop lip balm and MAC blush.
I have nothing bad to say about packaging too. It's a sturdy see-through plastic pot with black lid. The pot is 50 ml and costs 5.40 euros. It is very good value, because it lasts for a whole eternity. As I said, I have been using mine all winter and have just managed to make a small dent to salve's surface. Besides, it is a 5 in 1 product: you don't need separate lip balm, cuticle cream, hand and foot creams and sore skin ointment when using Joik emu oil salve. 

I realize now the uses of this emu oil salve sound very much like the uses of the world famous Eight Hour Cream by Elizabeth Arden. It might be a good alternative, if you've never liked Eight Hour Cream as I don't. I find Eight Hour Cream bad-smelling and too expensive.

Joik Deep Moisturizing Salve with Emu Oil can be bought from Kaubamaja, I.L.U store and some pharmacies. It is also available on Joik's website and they deliver worldwide!

Yours Truly,
Tolmu Rull

For my lovely Estonian ladies:

Joik'i sügavniisutav salv emu õliga on tõeline imetoode! See sobib kasutada huulepalsamina, käte- ja jalakreemina, küünenahkadel ja ka ärritunud naha ravimiseks. Hinna ja kvaliteedi suhe on ka suurepärane. Joik'i emuõlisalv on tõeline Eesti oma kaheksa-tunni-kreem. Ma arvan, et topsik emuõlisalvi peaks kuuluma iga Eesti tüdruku kosmeetikakotti!

Siiralt teie,
Tolmu Rull

No comments:

Post a Comment